Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 2 of the Flats challenge

DDLbutton


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world! 
 
In case you haven't read my Day 1 post, I just want to say, I am using my daughter's camera and the date is wrong and she hasn't been able to figure out how to change or remove it and I haven't taken the time to see if I can fix it! These pictures were all taken with in the last couple of days :)
 
Day 2 was a giant success and I am still going strong!! My hands and arms are not happy with me though, and neither is my back!! lol :)  I am still very happy to be participating in the challenge though!! I will start with the supplies that I have purchased for the challenge and then I will include some pictures I took today :)

Here is my drying rack, on the rack is my "trial run" diapers and covers. My son wanted to be included in the picture too :) I made him cover up with dad's house coat lol

 

 Here are the 9 Bububibi covers I purchased. I bought 9 because I am a fluff addict, but I think I only need around 3-4, if that.




Here are the fleece soakers my friend Helene made me!! Aren't they ADORABLE?????

 


I purchased a washboard online for the challenge

 


 My camp washer, gloves and scrub brush. I am so thankful to my husband for making me this camp washer!!




Here are my receiving blankets. My friend Helene found me all the super cute girl prints and I already had the boy and neutral prints laying around the house. I think so far I have rotated less than half of these flats.




I gave Helene an old sheet I had laying around so she could make us some flats with it. It is so soft. I thought I would love it but I actually prefer the receiving blankets over these. These are thinner and smaller and I have a heavy wetter.

 


 Here are some of the wipes I will be using. I use wipes to clean and I also use them to make sure that the diaper area is dry after being cleaned. I have been using the white wipes for wet wiping so far, but I will be trying the flannel next to see if it will dry faster and keep it's soft texture. The baby bath cloths (not pictured) are drying very stiff and baby does not like them anymore. I hope flannel or maybe even the white ones pictured will be better for drying her diaper area.




Here is my wet wipe set up. The solution I am using is 
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup baby wash
8 drops Young living lavender essential oil
4 drops Young living Melaleuca (Alternifolia) essential oil
2 cups water

It is nice because when I wash my flats, the first rinse has a little baby wash in it thanks to these wipes... so that probably helps get the diapers a little cleaner too :)




I have mostly been using the pad fold, but I did buy pins for the challenge. A lady on the Flats challenge facebook group suggested storing the pins in soap so they slide into the diaper easily :) I just got this cute bowl from a bundles and buzz bundle and thought this would be the perfect use for it!!




My husband put holes in a second bucket so I could try to squeeze the buckets together to get excess water out of the flats. It does work, but not well since the buckets do not touch at the bottom when stacked... the ridges around the side stop the top bucket from going in far enough to get a good squeeze in.

 


I bought a salad spinner to try to get excess water out of the flats. I haven't tried it, but I hope to try it at least once to see if it is worth it. I really have not been concerned with drying time though...  I think it may be an inconvenience to put diapers in here one by one to get a tiny bit of water out.




and now for a little bit more about my day :) Here is my first load of diapers this morning: (I have been washing diapers 3-4 times a day) My lovely daughter wanted to pose with this load :)

 


I checked the weather forecast, and YAY!! Another beautiful day for drying outside!!

 


Good thing they were in and dry before the storm!!

 


Here is load #1 of today, all clean, folded and ready to go again!

 


I wish I would have taken a 'before' photo but check this out, another poopy diaper with no stains thanks again to the sunshine!!! This is like magic!! I am so impressed at how well "sunning" works!

 


Stuffing my cover with 2 pad-folded flats for bedtime!

 


Getting the snaps and fit just right

 


Trying to get her to smile and laugh even though she is quite tired, grumpy and ready for bed!!




I added her sweet fleece soaker just to be super safe!! I haven't been brave enough yet to use only one cover.

 


All ready for bed!!
 



Good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment